Selection of the very keywords that will certainly lead to clicks and, further, conversions – is a number one problem for any pay-per-click advertising campaign. Keywords investigation it is not only science, it is a big part of art. It is important to use numerous tools you have wisely, but it is even more impactful to understand your clients and what they mean by typing this or that word combination. Success of your ads is in the right placing at the right moment when people are really interested in your services or goods.
We have made this guideline for you to learn best methodics how to obtain, define and rank your pay-per-click keywords – all the staff that will make your campaign better target-oriented and effective.
Start with defining your keywords
At this initial step you should understand which page or pages will become your target ones, as all the ads will link there. Thoroughly examine the texts and collect necessary keywords. If the material is well-written you will certainly get a good amount of information.
Group the keywords you have collected
There are 4 the most important of them.
1. Brand terms include keywords with brand or trademark names.
2. Generic terms reveal related services and goods. They are often called “e-commerce” words.
3. Related terms do not mean they will have any relation to your company or services, but users may also search for these notions.
4. Terms related to competitors – obviously, this group covers the area of words describing off your competitors and their similar services or goods.
Some more tips
1. To catch a fish, think as if you are a fish. What words and request would you type to get to your website?
2. Move to specific keywords after defining broad ones only. Example:
cardigans – women’s cardigans – women’s cardigans with flowers – red women’s cardigans with flowers
3. Mix your keywords with synonyms and possible variations. This rule is also applicable for contractions, abbreviations and even plural forms. Search systems may sometimes understand related words as one notion, and will help a lot if you want to have Exact type of matching.
4. Keywords describing your services or goods may attract customers interested in you do. It means, if you deal with cat food, you can also add topics in demand for cat owners like: cat toys, cat accessories, cat medicine and so on.
5. Use help of online tools to merge keywords.
6. Make people’s misprints and words variation work on you, include them into your list. But create one more group of ads for misprints and similar mistakes.
7. Search engines grow with Internet development can digest even long queries as more and more people now prefer to use their voices to find necessary staff while being on the go. Include the information how people speak when search for something to your keywords list.
Don’t hesitate to use keyword tools, they will help to define necessary ones and those which are better to be deleted. Each tool may offer a bit different options, but you should rest on search volume, the more people search for a certain thing during a month time, the more it is. You will also find out how many keywords may be also applied you haven’t even guessed.
Sort the words you have collected into small related target groups. They will reflect your ads in search engines.
Include negative keywords into your list. It will help to accumulate unnecessary traffic and your ads will not appear where they shouldn’t.
Devote some to research. Ideally, it is better to hold investigation of keywords on a weekly basis. By doing so, you will be trendy and in the swim.